Wednesday 24 September 2014

Pumpkin Struesel Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze

Hey banana buddies! It's Chelsea here ( @feedingmindbodysoul) or A Spoonful of Chelsea :)

I've not been very good with contributing to each theme so far, due to bad timing (I was touring around the US with my dancing school, plus some other excuses, but I won't waste your time hehe I'm awful I know) BUT this one I thought, I'm on holidays and I have the time to try something new and see how it goes and work my baking skills… oh my gosh guys, best decision yet. This was the ULTIMATELY DELICIOUS CAKE. Ever.

So I will just leave the recipe here, in hopes you stumble across it and make it and eat it all except save me some please (it is perfectly acceptable to send me a letter in the mail inviting me over for tea and cake, I will allow it in this case) ;)

P.s. the cake is completely gluten free (coeliac friendly for me and for you potentially woo!) and vegan. Also the option of being soy free, if you use almond milk or coconut milk like I did. There are no eggs as well, and no dairy. And it is not delicious free, in the slightest. It is, like I said, ultimately so.

Enjoy if you make it, let me know if you do!


 Ingredients: 



Cake:
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (I used Orgran)
3 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Approximately 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of nutmeg (but you could add ginger and all spice or any other spice you wanted to if you have them, that’s just all I had)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup dairy free milk of choice (I used almond- coconut milk)
1 cup pumpkin puree (how I made mine: steamed some cubed pumpkin in the microwave, and then put it through my food processor until a puree consistency)
½ cup brown sugar (you could use coconut sugar, I will try it with that next time!)
½ cup oil (I used olive oil because I like the flavor it gives a cake)

Streusel layer:
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup gluten free all purpose flour (I used Orgran)
5 tablespoons non-dairy margarine, at room temperature (I heated mine in the microwave for just a little bit, so it was warm-ish but not melting)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, approximately
½ cup of roughly chopped pecans (up to you if you want to swap the nut around, you can use walnuts if you wanted to!)

Maple glaze:
½ cup icing sugar, sifted well
2 teaspoons non-dairy milk (I used almond-coconut milk)
½ teaspoon maple syrup

Oil, to grease cake tin

Cake tin (I used a round 20cm one, but you can make it any shape you wanted to really, or into muffins! Muffins could be fun hehe)

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease your cake tin (or muffin tray) with oil of choice (I used spray on coconut oil for an easy solution).

First, make the streusel layer. In a bowl, combine the sifted flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans, until well mixed through. Then, add your room temperature dairy free margarine (I used nuttelex) with your fingers combine all ingredients until it creates a crumble/ crumb. Set aside for now, and get going with the cake-y part!

Chop your pumpkin into cubes and in a steaming dish (or on the stove) steam your pumpkin until quite soft. Then, add it to your food processer and process until smooth.

In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices and mix well. In a small bowl, whisk the dairy free milk and the apple cider vinegar together and leave to “curdle”. Finally, add the pumpkin, sugar and oil to the dry mixture as well as the curdled milk, and stir to combine. The mixture will be quite thick, so do not over mix.

In your greased cake tin, lay half the cake mixture down evenly, and then top with about half the streusel mixture. Then, as best you can, evenly spread out the remaining cake mixture and then crumble the last of the streusel on top of that.

The cake will need to bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until you can stick a knife in the center and it comes out clean or relatively so (I find it’s a moist cake anyway). When it is cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes or so, or until it’s relatively cool to the touch.

When it is cool, you can make the maple glaze! In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar, milk and maple syrup well until it has formed a smooth runny mixture. Drizzle over the top of the cake, and then you’re done! Hey pumpkin presto! 

No comments:

Post a Comment